Munchery is proud to announce Marketplace, a haven for chef-recommended delectables and local specialties that belong in the hands of foodies everywhere. We work with our award-winning chefs to bring you products and brands that guarantee quality you can trust so you can effortlessly fill your pantry with premium essentials. We’re offering these items at prices you deserve, prices that make real ingredients an attainable part of everyone’s cooking arsenal.
Don’t just take our word for it, find out for yourself why our chefs hand-select each product by reading our Marketplace Blog Series, which highlights each item and its Munchery story.
Salt of the Earth
Here at Munchery, not just any old salt will do. Just like some of the most coveted products in the world (think Parmigiano-Reggiano), geography is paramount in salt production. Imagine how the terroir affects wine production: minutia like the slope of the vineyard and minerals in the dirt impart nuances of flavor instrumental to the final product. Salt is no different. If the conditions aren’t right, the salt won’t be either.
To find the best of the best, we looked to England’s Blackwater Estuary, home to Maldon Salt Company – and home to the ideal conditions for high-quality salt. The estuary’s flat, tide-washed marshes maintain a healthy supply of clean, briny water, and low yearly rainfall ensures that this water has a high salinity.
Water packed with good, clean salt doesn’t just yield more salt, it yields better salt. The high salinity allows craftsmen to simply assist the natural process of water becoming delicious white flakes. After all, salt is truly a product of Mother Nature.
If you take a dip in the Blackwater Estuary, you’ll probably notice crystals starting to form on your skin as the water evaporates. Skilled saltmakers understand this principle and use it to their advantage, teasing the salt from the water in the most natural way possible. Salty brine is filtered and boiled, then heated until the salt crystallizes. Don’t be fooled; perfectly flaky, pyramid-like crystals only form when the process is executed by those with the right know-how. Excellent terroir is nothing without excellent stewards.
For Munchery, the folks at Maldon Salt Company are the ultimate salt experts. That’s why Maldon Sea Salt is a featured product on Munchery Marketplace at an exclusively low price for Munchery members.
From Rural to Royal
Trusting your saltmaker is crucial. Normal salt is often stripped of its minerals, minerals that would otherwise help stabilize blood pressure. Maldon’s is not. About a century ago, Maldon Salt Company was taken over by the Osborne family, beginning what is now four generations of excellence as the custodians of an ancient culinary tradition. Initially a small family business, Maldon Salt Company went international when a local girl gave her Swedish pen-pal a small box of English goods to take home. Her Swedish father happened to be the buyer for co-operative food halls across Sweden, and in no-time the world had a craving for the pure, flaky salt from the English coast.
Today, Maldon Sea Salt is recognized by the Queen herself as the finest of salts. After visiting in 2010, Her Majesty granted Maldon Salt Company with the Royal Warrant, making them a certified supplier of the royal family. When we consulted our chefs, they were adamant that we bring nothing short of the Queen’s salt to dinner tables everywhere.
What Do I Do With the Queen’s Seasoning of Choice?
As ubiquitous as it is, salt’s versatility is often underestimated. A pinch of Maldon Sea Salt can transform more than just a steak or salmon fillet. Try preserving lemons with this crystalline delight for a taste of a Middle Eastern classic. Make a flavored salt by combining these flaky pyramids with your favorite beer. Add a sprinkle to liven up rich chocolate truffles. There’s almost no limit to what you can do with nature’s gift to kitchens everywhere.
Maldon Sea Salt makes a special appearance in many of Munchery’s recipes and locally-sourced products, including these decadent desserts:
Or, try Maldon Sea Salt in the below recipe designed by Munchery’s award-winning chefs!
Spanish Pan con Tomate Recipe by Munchery
(Also available as a Munchery 15-minute cooking kit!)
2 French bread buns
2 garlic cloves
4 Roma tomatoes
1 navel orange
2 1/2 teaspoons thyme
3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
4 white anchovies
1 1/2 tablespoon Maldon Sea Salt
- Preheat your oven to 350*F.
- Cut both pieces of bread in half longways as though making a sandwich. Pour 1⁄4 cup of your best extra virgin olive oil into a shallow tray and soak the bread until all oil has been absorbed into its cut sides. Set your deliciously saturated bread oil-side up on your baking sheet and set it aside.
- Chop your thyme finely and set it aside as well. Zest the orange and save both zest and orange for later. Using a larger grater, grate your tomatoes into a mixing bowl. Hold the stems and be careful of your fingers! Whisk 1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil into the tomato pulp you made, along with the sherry vinegar. Stir in your chopped thyme and orange zest. Cut your leftover orange in half and squeeze its juice, as well as 1 1⁄2 tablespoons of Maldon Sea Salt. Stick the bowl in the fridge and let the flavors come together.
- It’s time to place your bread into that pre-heated oven for 8-12 minutes, or until it starts looking crispy. Remove it and rub the garlic cloves over the bread. This imparts a hidden garlicky punch! Once you’ve massaged it in, get ready to plate.
- On a cutting board, divide your tomato mixture over all four bread slices. Now it’s time to get creative! Arrange the salami and Manchego cheese on top of each slice, adding the anchovies to taste if you’re feeling adventurous (if you choose to leave them off, any olives you have handy make for a similarly savory substitute). Cut each piece into four smaller pieces and plate up on a tray. Invite your friends to dig in, and get ready to be the hero of the party.